Houston Medical Clinic’s Physical Therapy staff are highly trained and experienced in orthopedic and manual therapy. Offering cutting edge skills in assessment, treatment and individualized planning for return to work, daily activities, or competitive sports. As a patient, you will experience the competent use of manual therapy, which includes joint mobilization, soft tissue work, motor patterning and the latest advances in exercise techniques. You will receive a personalized exercise program created specifically for you. You will be guided through a specialized program which will address the specific stage and
nature of your specific condition or injury.Our therapists will work with you to reach your goals and expedite your return to your chosen activity -whether that is a, the rapid return to work or a stroll around the park. All of our therapists are prepared to provide you with the help and guidance that you need in
your strive for wellness.
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy involves the diagnosis, treatment, management of movement dysfunction and enhancement of physical functional abilities. Physical therapy includes the examination, evaluation, and treatment provided by a physical therapist.Treatment is directed toward the restoration, maintenance and promotion of optimal physical function. Treatment includes the recovery of current symptoms and the prevention of the progression of impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities that
may result from diseases, disorders, conditions, and/or injuries.
What to expect as a Patient
At HMC Physical Therapy, you will work together with your physical therapist in a quiet and comfortable environment towards recuperation. All our sessions, including the initial evaluation, require a minimum of 45 to 60 minutes. During the initial evaluation, you will discuss your symptoms and desired outcome with your therapist. After the discussion your physical therapist will perform a hands-on evaluation of your condition. Based on your goals, the requests of your referring physician and the results of the evaluation, you and your physical therapist will agree upon a treatment plan.
HMC offers a full range of treatment for disorders, conditions and injuries:
- Treatment for injury to ankle/foot, knee, hip, shoulder, back/neck/head, elbow/hand
- Evaluation and treatment of pain or discomfort during exercise or movement
- Fitness evaluation: flexibility, strength, body composition, posture, balance and aerobic conditioning
- Sports injuries
- Post surgical
- On the job injuries (L&I)
- Auto accidents (MVA)
- Licensed physical therapists with continued postgraduate degree training.
- One-on-one treatment only.
- 45 to 60 minute treatment sessions.
- Treatments designed to fit your individual and personal needs.
- All our therapists are accustomed to treating patients who have not responded to previous treatment or other care.
- The use of the most progressive treatment techniques to help with your recovery from pain and lack of limb flexibility, coordination, balance, endurance, speed and strength.
Treatments and Techniques
- Soft Tissue Mobilization: contract/relax, strain/counter strain, myofascial release, stretching.
- Joint Mobilization
- Exercise Prescription/Progression: Home and clinical exercise programs are based on a functional and dynamic approach, which have immediate carry over to your sports and activities of daily living.
- Education: Risk factors, Static/Dynamic Postural, Biomechanical and Prevention.
- Therapeutic Ultrasound- Continuous sound waves absorbed by the body that can reduce or control pain & muscle spasms, increase circulation and soft tissue flexibility.
- Interferential Electric Stimulation- Two independent channels of electrical current crossing each other to ease deep tissue pain.
- Moist Heat- Increases blood flow, soft tissue flexibility, tissue length, relaxes muscles and decreases joint stiffness.
- Paraffin- Used for heating distal extremities, and irregular surfaces.
- Ice- Controls inflammation, pain & edema, reduces muscle spasms.
- Ice Massage- Direct localized application of ice to the skin for 8-10 minutes to decrease pain and inflammation.